Dandruff, the most common scalp disease, can be slowly cured by using the ten best ways to get rid of dandruff listed below. Dandruff, scientifically known as seborrheic dermatitis, is a scalp disease caused by dry skin, oily skin, stress, irregular diet and improper washing or shampooing of the hair. Severe dandruff occurs with increased hair loss, acne, pimples on the face and skin diseases.
Having dandruff is not a complicated problem to solve, because it can be cured naturally with some home remedies that are already available in your kitchen. It is definitely more advisable to choose natural home remedies than wasting time and money in a salon or hospital to treat it. Before you become familiar with the best methods for removing dandruff, it is advisable to be patient, as natural home remedies are a time-consuming process. However, the desired results will be achieved in time without any side effects.
10 Best Ways to Get Rid of Dandruff
1. Neem Water and Neem Paste
Neem is the best source of anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. Neem is also known as Indian Lilac. It actually treats dandruff and also other hair problems like itching, scalp acne, hair loss.
- Rinse some neem leaves thoroughly in fresh water.
- Boil the washed leaves in 4-5 cups of water.
- Cool the mixture and strain it.
- Use this neem water to rinse your scalp and hair 3-4 times a week.
2. Coconut Oil and Lemon Juice
Coconut oil is a natural source of anti-fungal properties. It helps reduce dryness of the scalp, relieves itching and keeps hair moisturized.
- Take a certain amount of coconut oil and add a few drops of lemon juice, then mix.
- Massage the scalp thoroughly with the mixture.
- Wait for 20-30 minutes, then wash your hair.
- For best results, massage your hair with the above mixture at least 2-3 times a week.
3. Baking Soda
Baking soda is an excellent household remedy against dandruff and achieves the best results when used properly.
- Wet your scalp slightly.
- Take a spoon of baking soda and apply it to your scalp.
- Leave it for 1-2 minutes, then rinse it off.
- Follow the procedure two times a week for the fastest results.
4. Fenugreek Seed Paste
Fenugreek has naturally anti-fungal and calming properties that help to control dandruff.
- Soak 2-3 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in water overnight.
- The following morning, grind them into a fine paste, add a little curd, and mix well.
- Apply the paste directly to your scalp, leave it for 1-2 hours, then shampoo your hair and wash it thoroughly.
- Repeat the procedure for 1-2 times a week.
5. Olive Oil
Olive oil is a natural moisturizer. It works effectively to reduce dryness of the scalp and also prevents dandruff from forming.
- Heat some olive oil until it becomes slightly warm.
- Massage the warm oil deeply into your scalp, then wrap your hair in a towel.
- Leave it for 30-45 minutes, or overnight, then wash your hair thoroughly with shampoo.
- You can follow this process for 4-5 times a week.
Essential to read: Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?
6. Curd or Yogurt
The treatment of dandruff with curd cheese is a bit chaotic and also complicated, but it gives the desired result.
- Apply curd over the entire area of the scalp.
- Leave it in for a few hours.
- Once the curd has hardened, wash the scalp thoroughly with a mild shampoo.
- Repeat the process once or twice a week for the best results.
7. Apple Vinegar
You can also use apple vinegar as a remedy for dandruff at home. Apple cider vinegar is one of the best options for treating hair loss and dandruff.
- First, mix equal amounts of apple vinegar and water, and put it to one side.
- After doing your regular hair wash, apply the mixture onto your scalp while your hair is still wet.
- Leave it in for 20-30 minutes, then wash your scalp with water, and shampoo if necessary.
- Follow this procedure for 3-4 times for good results.
8. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is very rich in anti-fungal properties. Therefore it is best used for dandruff treatment.
- You can simply add a few drops of tea tree oil to your regular shampoo while washing your hair.
- Firstly, mix a few drops of tea tree oil with few drops of coconut oil and olive oil and apply over the entire scalp area evenly.
- Leave it in for at least 30 minutes, or overnight for the best results, then wash your hair.
- Continue this process 2-3 times a week.
9. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice naturally has acidic properties that can fight against the fungi that cause dandruff. It also relieves itching on the scalp.
- Mix the lemon juice from one lemon with half a cup of curd.
- Apply the mixture to the scalp and leave it for 20 minutes, before rinsing it off and shampooing your hair.
- Follow this process 3-4 times a week.
10. Orange Peel
Orange peel pack or paste is another remedy for treating dandruff at home. Follow the procedure below for good results.
- Whizz up some orange peel with some lemon juice in your food processor.
- Grind the mixture into a paste.
- Apply this paste onto the scalp area and let it stay for 20-30 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with water and wash the scalp with a mild shampoo.
- Follow this process 2-3 times a week for the best results.
If you try the above best ways to get rid of dandruff, you can achieve the expected results in a noticeable period of time.
Next to read: Top 10 Natural Ways to Get Glowing Skin