Revisiting our favorite movies isn’t just a great way to pass a nice, lazy Sunday afternoon. You can actually learn a lot about sex, dating, and relationships from watching your favorite characters in action. After all, the material for those riveting plot lines has to come from somewhere and that “somewhere” happens to be a person’s actual life experience more often than not. The following are just a few of the timeless and very useful tidbits of dating wisdom we’ve picked up from our favorite films over the years. Did any of your favorites make the list?
Table of Contents
- 1 Dating Lessons We Learned from the Movies
- 1.1 1. Love Actually – There’s no one way to love.
- 1.2 2. Good Will Hunting – Nobody’s perfect, and that’s OK.
- 1.3 3. The Notebook – Dates don’t have to be expensive to be incredible.
- 1.4 4. Breakfast at Tiffany’s – Chemistry isn’t always about the sex.
- 1.5 5. Ghost – Personal passion and sexual passion mesh beautifully.
- 1.6 6. Sex and the City – Loving others should always start with loving yourself.
- 1.7 7. Hitch – Sometimes the little moments are the ones that really count.
- 1.8 8. Titanic – Sometimes it really pays to think outside the bedroom.
- 1.9 9. Her – Virtual sex can be powerful stuff.
- 1.10 10. Dirty Dancing – Sometimes it’s best to just let your bodies do the talking.
- 1.11 11. The Wedding Singer – Great loves are worth fighting for.
- 1.12 About Author:
Dating Lessons We Learned from the Movies
1. Love Actually – There’s no one way to love.
When director Richard Curtis brought us Love Actually way back in 2003, he didn’t just treat us to the Christmas movie hopeless romantics everywhere had been waiting for. He taught us a thing or two about what love is really all about as well.
- Love comes in many different forms.
- You can potentially find love anywhere and in anyone.
- Real love may well change and evolve over the years, but it’s still exactly what it is – love.
As the movie says, love is actually all around, so don’t forget to keep your eyes open.
2. Good Will Hunting – Nobody’s perfect, and that’s OK.
If 1997’s Good Will Hunting was the film that finally made you realize that you don’t need to be perfect to cultivate a relationship with lots of potential, you’re definitely not alone. Will and Skylar both had personal issues they were grappling with, but they found their way to each other and built something special in the process anyway. In the end, great relationships aren’t about being perfect. They’re about being perfect for one another.
3. The Notebook – Dates don’t have to be expensive to be incredible.
Noah and Ally didn’t just teach us that if your connection is truly special, it will definitely keep, even over the course of decades. They also proved to us once and for all that you don’t need a lot of money or a picture perfect setting to put together a romantic date setting or a sizzling spot for a sexy encounter. They made a few candles and a bed sheet spread over the floor seem like the hottest setting for a romp ever, inspiring millions to take a page straight from their book.
4. Breakfast at Tiffany’s – Chemistry isn’t always about the sex.
Blake Edwards’s 1961 classic Breakfast at Tiffany’s is widely considered to be one of the most romantic movies ever made, but Holly and Paul’s connection doesn’t revolve around sexual attraction despite the fact that they’re two very sexy people. They were ultimately drawn in one another’s directions because they understood each other, and their eventual relationship is built on a firm foundation of friendship that you’re sure will see them through. They taught us that chemistry is complicated and multi-faceted – something that extends way beyond sex.
5. Ghost – Personal passion and sexual passion mesh beautifully.
Ghost was a memorable film for lots of reasons, but one scene stands head and shoulders above the rest. Seriously, who could forget how smoking hot it got in Molly’s pottery studio when Sam decided to get hands-on and help her with her creation? That type of chemistry translates to real life more perfectly than you think. Whether it’s cooking, painting, hiking or scrap booking, try using your favorite hobby to connect with your partner on a personal level. You might be surprised at how quickly things take a hard left into sexy territory.
6. Sex and the City – Loving others should always start with loving yourself.
The original Sex and the City series changed how women everywhere thought of many big life concepts, including but not limited to sex, marriage, break-ups, and friendship. The 2008 movie followed suit in a big way by teaching viewers that the most important relationship any of us will ever have is the relationship with ourselves. Working on that relationship and making it everything it ought to be is also the best way to make sure every other relationship in your life fall right into place.
7. Hitch – Sometimes the little moments are the ones that really count.
If you caught Will Smith and Eva Mendes in 2005’s Hitch, then you already know that a huge part of the premise was the importance of moments. The title character, Alex Hitchens actually made a very nice living as a modern day matchmaker by helping people create and orchestrate such moments, teaching us that big connections sometimes spring from the smallest occurrences. Learn to identify (and treasure) the big little moments in your relationships. They’re usually the ones that come attached to the strongest emotions, the biggest belly laughs, and the more meaningful connections.
8. Titanic – Sometimes it really pays to think outside the bedroom.
Whether you’ve just met your partner or have been together for years, absolutely every relationship can benefit from the occasional location change when it comes to sex. Try following the lead of Titanic’s Rose and Jack by getting horizontal in the back seat of the car sometime. Car sex strikes a great balance between comfortable privacy and red hot public action. If your teen years came complete with a hot make-out session or two in a car, it can bring back some fond memories of your youth as well.
9. Her – Virtual sex can be powerful stuff.
No couple actually wants to spend long periods of time apart. Among other things, it can make it hard to stay connected sexually and no one likes to go without. Thankfully, the information age has given us lots of solutions that mean we don’t really have to.
Scarlet Johansson’s character in Her was actually an entity that was 100% virtual, but she didn’t let that stop her from establishing and maintaining a very sexy relationship with Joaquin Phoenix’s character. Take a page out of their book, and use tools like FaceTime, Skype, and even your trusty smartphone to keep things steamy whenever life demands that you spend time apart.
10. Dirty Dancing – Sometimes it’s best to just let your bodies do the talking.
Great conversation is all fine and dandy when it comes to connecting to your partner, but sometimes the sexiest connections don’t call for words at all. Just think of Johnny Castle and Baby Houseman as played by Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey in Dirty Dancing! Not only did their body talk make for some serious on-screen chemistry, but it started a worldwide trend at the time. That said, try putting on your favorite music, enjoying a dance or two with your partner, and seeing what happens.
11. The Wedding Singer – Great loves are worth fighting for.
Who could ever forget that completely unforgettable scene from The Wedding Singer where Adam Sandler’s Robbie Hart serenades Drew Barrymore’s Julia on that plane to Las Vegas (with a little help from 80’s icon, Billy Idol, of course)? Robbie taught us that when you find something really special, it’s worth fighting for, even if life doesn’t make it easy. Keep that in mind the next time you and that special someone are going through a rough patch! You’re sure to be glad you did.
Carina West is a part of the Femme Funn Innovation Team. Femme Funn is a growing sex toy manufacturer that’s all about providing curious, passionate women everywhere the top-tier tools they need to explore their sexuality to the fullest. It’s about making personal pleasure innovative, satisfying, and most importantly fun! Come join the Femme Funn revolution.
Read Next: Cute Ways To Ask A Girl Out