There are many young souls who fall into drug abuse and ruin their lives. There are so many famous celebrities who have become addicted to drugs and alcohol abuse and have shortened their lives. Michael Jackson, Heath Ledger, Prince, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse are some of the famous names that couldn’t survive because of their addiction. When you see such talents gone so soon, you know that prevention is better than cure.
And if you know that one of your loved ones is going through the same thing, then it is better to seek help for substance abuse. Here is what you can do if one of your relatives or loved ones has fallen victim to drug abuse.
Timely help for a victim of substance abuse
- Lifestyle change: If the patient has a history of mild drug abuse, this can be treated simply by changing lifestyle and a good level of counseling. Such people can be cured step by step with emotional care and support.
- Detoxification: People who receive this treatment must stop taking the substance and are detoxified with medical care until the substance has disappeared from the system.
- Rehabilitation Program: Rehabilitation treatment is for patients who have a long history of alcohol and drug addiction; this treatment can be done either at home or at the center. A person who remains in the center and is treated there is called an inpatient, while a person who is treated at home is called an outpatient.
- Find the right place: It is important to research which is the best treatment center. There are centers with limited facilities and then there are luxurious rehabilitation centers that can make you feel at home and where patients are cared for dutifully; you have to enroll in the right center to sober up.
- Longer treatment: It is believed that longer treatment can produce desired results; this can take up to 90 days. With the right treatment at the rehab center, the patient can gain self-confidence and return to a routine with the necessary drive to face any kind of challenge.
It is generally believed that people with drug and alcohol problems also suffer from other types of mental disorders and depression. It is necessary to decide very carefully which treatment should be offered to the patient at the same time so that the person can lead a normal, healthy and warm life again.